Sunday 31 January 2010

Hyperbolic Coral Reef


I went to the Firstsite gallery in Colchester yesterday to take part in the Crochet Coral Reef that they have there.

This is one of many reefs around the world that are being displayed and added to in order to highlight the plight of our disappearing coral reefs. More information can be found here.

There were several people there being taught how to crochet. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was a really nice atmosphere.

I spent about an hour and a half there making a little hyperbolic bit of coral to leave behind, and chatting to some of the other participants. Many had never crocheted before and just wandered in to have a look.

I forgot to take a photo of the actual reef, but I am hoping to find the time to return one evening or next weekend.



My little bit of coral was labelled with my name and location. It will be added to the reef and continue with it to the next location on its tour. It's well worth going to see, even if you don't fancy contributing to the crochet.

No comments:

Post a Comment